Aden Duale Responds to Backlash Over His Hijab Remarks

Date:

Share Post:

On Tuesday, December 20th, after causing controversy with his comments on the attire of Kenyan Muslim women, Defence Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale attempted to explain his remarks.

After Kenyans on social media attacked the Cabinet Secretary for threatening school teachers, Duale said that his remark had been taken out of context.

The media distorted Duale’s comments during a conference, he said in a statement to the press, giving the impression that he supported making women wear the hijab against their will.

He defended the right of Muslim women to wear hijabs without fear of backlash from the general public or the state.

And he brushed off those who demanded an apology from him, saying individuals who took an interest in the case only from a superficial level had misquoted him.

The CS also shared a video of his remarks to elaborate on his assertions.

He also mentioned how Muslims have been stereotyped throughout history, emphasizing the need of solidarity in the face of radicalism.

Speaking at the commencement of the International Quran Competition at Sir Ali Muslim Club, Duale urged educators to stop pressuring Muslim females to remove their hijabs in the classroom.

“Any Muslim lady in Kenya is required to wear a hijab or scarf. If they do not want to, they should search for another country to go to,” Duale said.

Kenyans took to social media to express their outrage at the comments and demand an apology from the Defense Cabinet Secretary.

However, after fact-checking the viral video pleading with outlets to remove their claims, civic organizations including Amnesty Kenya rallied to his defense.

Share Post: