Following Chief Magistrate Martha Mutuku’s move to Mombasa in 2021, a new judge will take over the Ksh180 million phony laptop controversy.
According to a statement released by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution-ODPP on Thursday, October 13, the case will be overseen by Chief Magistrate Wendy Kagendo of the Milimani District Court, who will then provide further instructions.
The DPP sought the court’s guidance since Mutuku’s transfer had suspended the proceedings.
So far, the prosecution has brought two witnesses to testify against the seven defendants.
The DPP said the seven are being investigated for many crimes, including conspiracy to defraud, unauthorized document creation, gaining goods via false pretenses, receiving stolen property, and abuse of office.
It was originally reported in 2018 that the businessmen were suspected of using forgeries to get a Ksh180 million contract to deliver 2,800 laptops.
They said that a top official at Harambee House signed the paper in order to dupe a customer.
The situation began at Harambee House, the official office of Deputy President William Ruto during Uhuru Kenyatta’s presidency.
The seven accused all disputed the allegations against them.
Release on bail was granted by Senior Principal Magistrate Kennedy Cheruiyot, who was first assigned to the case in 2018.