A baby who was brought to Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) with a fork jembe trapped in his skull has tragically passed away. KNH has now provided further information about the circumstances surrounding the child’s death.
As indicated in a statement released by the hospital on October 12th, the child’s brain was enlarged and showed signs of severe damage.
Tests and scans at the referral facility indicated that the fork jembe had penetrated the baby’s brain, causing internal bleeding and brain swelling.
The hospital also said that stopping the bleeding took longer than expected, which made it harder to do surgery to remove the object from his head.
First, they had to restore the patient’s blood loss, and then they decided to proceed with the surgery necessary to remove the trapped object.
However, the baby’s health worsened while in the operating room due to difficulties, and he was later pronounced dead, as indicated by the hospital.