Nairobi’s governor, Johnson Sakaja, said the developer of the building that collapsed on Tuesday in Kasarani be taken into custody.
He said that the DCI and the police are working together to conduct a search and an urgent arrest of the developer.
On Tuesday, Sakaja said that the developer never obtained a building permit from the city county.
“The developer failed to get a county permit. Despite an enforcement notice, he chose to continue because of irresponsibility. He must face murder charges,” Sakaja asserted.
The county executive has spoken out against the developer, saying that the city council will act and that criminal charges will be filed.
Additionally, Sakaja said that the construction site had been forced to close.
He said the builder was aware the materials weren’t up to standard and that the developer had been served with an enforcement notice despite knowing the project was illegal.
The governor issued an ultimatum to unprofessional builders who engage in such projects, saying that their time is limited.
The governor also revealed that he has reshuffled the technical committee in charge of authorizing new construction in Nairobi City County.
The names will be publicly announced in a gazette.
“We have already replaced the Nairobi technical committee responsible for approving new construction. The officer who is found guilty would be sent home and prosecuted,” Sakaja promised.